Nave with early 13thc. S aisle, N aisle of 1844-45, 14thc. W tower, and large
square 13thc. chancel. The S aisle was restored in 1881-82, and the tower
refaced in 1885-86. A further restoration was made in the mid-1970s to the
stonework of the tower and the S aisle roof, and in 1987 major repairs were made
to the N aisle roof, the ringers' chamber and the nave floor. The only feature
reported here is the font, which dates from c.1200 or slightly later.
The font is in the N aisle to the W of N doorway - it was moved here from the ringing chamber in
1957. On a modern octagonal stemmed plinth sits a shallow tub-shaped bowl
roughly carved with four large recessed panels, leaving four shallow vertical
strips slightly proud of the surface. On top of this sits the font proper, an
unlined octagonal tub, very much repaired, carved with a simple round-headed
relief arcade, one bay on each face. The flat columns supporting the arches have
boldly projecting rectangular capitals or imposts. Around the rim is a chamfer,
and around the bottom of the bowl, a double roll on which the columns stand.
A booklet has been produced on the history and
architecture of the church.