The records of East Ilsley start with the Domesday Book (see the Origins of the village).
More modern detailed records start with the Terrier of East Ilsley Parish. This is a comprehensive record of the land in the parish, compiled in 1831 for the Rev. Thomas Loveday (newly appointed rector of East Ilsley) and linked to a detailed map. The terrier lists each parcel of land by number on the map, its owner (proprietor) and its occupier, together with a description of the ‘premises’ (the list covers dwellings, gardens, etc. as well as agricultural land), its tillage (arable, meadow, down etc.) and its assessment for tithe payments. The map and terrier pre-date the official tithe map and apportionments by about 10 years. The first few entries of the terrier are shown below:
Following on from the listing shown in the Terrier, the Census of 1841 provides information about the members of each household and a useful cross-check with the earlier Terrier. The census was then carried out at 10-year intervals, throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. The Society holds paper copies of the census for East Ilsley from:
- 1841 (Part facsimile part transcription)
- 1851 (Facsimile)
- 1861 (Transcription)
- 1871 (Transcription)
- 1881 (Transcription)
- 1881 Strays (Transcription annotated & index)
- 1891 East & West Ilsley (Facsimile)
- 1901 (Facsimile)
- 1911 (Facsimile)
All of these census records have now been transcribed and incorporated into a master database of names associated with the village. This database can be easily searched for specific surnames or individuals. Please contact us if you are interested in the database.